Thursday, June 20, 2013

Roast Chicken with Basil-Rice Stuffing

Warm, friendly and lots of nutrients. Brussels Sprouts, my choice.
Roast Chicken with Basil-Rice Stuffing

Ingredients
Yummy--but I'm almost out!
1/2 c chopped celery
1 1/2 tsb butter
1 1/2 c cooked long grain rice (I used a rice blend)
2 tbs minced fresh parsley

1/4 c chopped onion                        1 1/4 tbs almond slivers
2 tbs minced fresh basil                   dash pepper
1/8 tsp salt                                       
1 broiler chicken (five pounds) 
 
 Directions

I did not sautee the celery because I prefer it crisp, and the onion, too. In a large bowl, combine the celery, rice, parsley, onion, basil, almond slivers, salt and pepper. Stuff chicken. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. I use a baking bag. 

Rich palette--color, flavor and texture.
Bake uncovered in the baking bag, at 375 degrees for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes before removing stuffing. Yields 4-5 servings. 

I served it with cranberries, which are not just for turkey dinners in my house, and Brussels sprouts. Yes, those are extra large sprouts. I'm the one who likes them. Mmmm, with cheese. The stuffing has rich flavor and a crunch with the almonds and celery.

 Gardening Tip

Not a Christmas shape anymore, but still festive.
Please meet my Christmas tree from about twelve years ago-- a rosemary bush! Clearly I have not maintained the cute faux evergreen shape. But Miss Rosemary has grown large, thick, and robust, as rosemary plants do in even the harshest of climates (of which is mine, being the high Mojave Desert.)

Rosemary is a very versatile herb. Today I used it instead of chemical fragrance to bring a beautiful scent into our home. I placed four eight inch branches on a pie tin in the preheating oven for about ten minutes. Wow! What a beautiful scent filled the house! And without the possible harmful consequences of chemical fragrances. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment