Thursday, June 20, 2013

Tuna and Rice

Nice warm meal, not fancy, but delicious.
This meal can be cooked in as long a time as it takes to make the rice. I make 1 cup rice, you can put in 1/4 tsp tumeric just because its good for you and makes a saffron color for the rice.
I use one large can tuna.

This is the simple recipe for white sauce.

Not a lot of extra spices.
 White Sauce

2 tbs butter          1 c milk
2 tbs flour            dash salt

Melt butter and flour, mix; slowly add milk; stir in  the drained tuna to the white sauce.

Fresh parsley is very pungent.

Having fresh parsley is amazingly vibrant as an addition to the tuna both as an ingredient and a garnish. We sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.

This meal serves four. It can freeze, too.

Gardening Hint 


Ivy trailers making roots.. 
I have a confession to make. I have purchased lovely plants, but too often have gotten too busy and let them die. There, I've said it. I feel much better now. I guess confession is good for the soul.   

But I still have the topiary structures for ivy, and I've just today determined to regrow them. One will be a gift for my daughter with the ivy from her lily-filled wedding bouquet. It's going to take time, but that's a good thing. Very rewarding.

First, I trimmed my current ivy plant to trailers about 18 inches long, 
and put the ivy trailers in water to grow roots. I repurposed milk jugs after cleaning them, naturally. Not glamorous, but functional.

Second,  I cleaned up the topiary structures. They'll be waiting for several months before I plant the trailers into the pots and begin to train them.

Tree
An arch topiary form.
This is so pathetic, my former Xmas tree. Reminds me of Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Fir Tree.'
 This is a new gardening project for me. I think it will be renewing and refreshing.

No comments:

Post a Comment